Monday, September 08, 2014

Lessons Learned in the Grasslands

 
 

The Grassland is a place of great beauty. Although it seems always the same, it constantly changes colours, shapes and scents.
For me, it is also a place of reflection. I let my thoughts roam free and sometimes I find myself making really random analogies. I don’t know why, but sometimes just looking at simple things like shapes, or colours makes me think of something really complex, like human relationships, or social justice.
I always loved how the old gumtree fallen logs, burnt or dry, are a catalyst for new life. Although the wood may look dead, it is certainly far from that. It is a habitat for microorganisms and even for some endemic species.  It is these fallen, charcoal logs that promote life. It encourages new tree seedlings; it protects a diversity of animals and microorganisms, maintains a grassy environment and improves the forest's health. Not to mention the natural fertilizer, too. I find it fascinating, much like the Phoenix bird, when life gets born of ashes. And just by contemplating this strong visual: black burnt branches, white, ashy branches fallen on the green grass, my thoughts went to a very dear friend of mine. Let’s name him G.
G is a brilliant man; very intelligent, educated, travelled and with a very sharp mind. What I like most about him, is his love of life and his passion for social justice. His positive involvement in his community is truly inspiring; he is always seeking to find the good even in the most difficult situations. His debate about a tragic event that happened recently in Ferguson, America, has made me reconsider how lucky I am. I have been brought up in a community where we never knew any racial or social issues. Furthermore, I am ashamed to admit, I wasn’t even aware of how acute they can get. G has also pointed out  this brilliant article, written by a white mother, who outlines a very different point of view about privileges.  My ignorance until that point makes me feel very small, self-centered and silly. I hope this series of images will  speak for me, but the message I am trying to get is this: hopefully we can all learn a bit from the Grasslands. There is something to give and something to take in each and every one of us, if we only stopped and learned to live in harmony.




























 


No comments: